Thursday, December 20, 2007

"In My World"

As I believe I mentioned before, part of our after school program - called Club 2-5-2 - is dedicated to teaching students about world changers and scholars throughout time. Figures like Moses, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr. Intregal to this teaching is talking about and pointing out how our young people (ages 2nd through 5th grade) can be world changers.

Last week one of our 5th grade students brought us a poem he'd written in school. This is the evidence of a young world changer.

“In My World”
In my world, you got to stay strong
In my world, a lot of things are going on
Killing, murdering, I hear it all the time.
People who do it, they get away by lying
Drinking and smoking, some people think its cool.
That stuff is not really good for you.
Don’t take drugs, that will mess up your life.
Being on the streets, you might lose your life.
This is all I’m sayin…Get an education or you’ll be on your knees prayin’.

No comments: