Monday, June 9, 2008

Thinking about Legacy: City Team Leader, Dave Clark, Reflects on UYWI Conference

The theme for this year's Urban Youth Workers Institute (UYWI) conference was "Living The Legacy." Each general session focused on a different element of legacy: legacy of faith, legacy people, legacy at-risk, legacy of love, and legacy unwritten. All of the messages were incredibly inspiring! The first two general messages reminded us of the hall of faith found in Hebrews Chapter 11 and which is described in the following chapter (Heb. 12:1) as the "great cloud of witnesses." We were exhorted to grab the baton passed to us from saints who have "run the race" before us - both the saints of the Old Testament (mentioned in Heb.11) as well as modern figures like Billy Graham, Martin Luther King Jr., and Mother Teresa. The emphasis of both sessions was on us - Christian urban youth workers - to be the next generation of leaders running with endurance. At the same time, we were also challenged to think about who we are passing the baton on to. The sessions left me intentionally thinking about the questions, "What legacy am I writing?" and "What legacy am I passing on?"


Needless to say, I've been thinking a lot about who I am passing the baton to. Lord willing, one day it is my desire to pass the baton of faith onto my biological sons. But, in addition to any of my biological children, it is also my desire and I believe, a huge part of my calling, to pass the baton of faith onto spiritual sons.

In 2 Timothy 2:1-2 Paul writes,

"You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus, and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also."

Within the larger context Paul refers to a legacy of faith that passes through four generations: Paul >Timothy > faithful men > others.
I have been challenged that, as a follower of Christ, it's imperative that I take on a "legacy mindset." It is not optional; it is a mandate. Remember the words of Jesus, "Go and make disciples of all nations..." I flew back from the conference recharged with energy to continue the "race" and God has continued to powerfully speak to me through Hebrews 12:2.

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
- Hebrews 12:2

No comments: