Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Jacqui White Reflects on Staff Training


I worked with Sunshine last year, and was stretched and challenged in so many ways. It’s just crazy to think of all the stuff that God has taught me and is teaching me through Sunshine. He is so faithful to correct and discipline and then in turn use us for his glory. I just feel so honored. This summer I will be teaching the kids arts and crafts at Summer Blast (Sunshine's Day Camp). I am so excited to teach the kids art and to watch them create things, as I share and incorporate lessons about the greatest artist of all time — our God! I wish the words on this page could somehow express just how much I want and desire these kids to feel close to God! I want them to know that even when their parents may leave them or their friends may come and go into their lives, that God never leaves them as orphans but embraces them as a father and a friend.

So far this week I’ve went through training, gone to the girls softball game, and to U-Turn (Sunshine's HS youth group). There has also been a lot of fellowship with the staff. The training has been so eye opening for me this week. We learned about poverty today which really convicted me because of the prejudices that are in my own heart that need to be done away with in regards to the homeless. One of the staff named Sarah spoke about this and something she said really hit home. She said that we all need stuff from other people but usually we wear masks so that we won't seem too needy. She encouraged us to imagine writing one of our own deepest needs on a piece of cardboard, and how much boldness and humility that must take. Another thing that I learned today was to have hope for our neighborhood — Woodlawn. I was encouraged to not refer it as being "the hood" or "the ghetto," and to not just see this neighborhood as being "a mess." Instead, I was challenged to see it as a beautiful place that God is working in, rather than just being a place where God sends missionaries. I really do love this neighborhood and the people that live in this community and cannot wait to watch God work all summer long!


Jacqueline White
Summer Intern
Sunshine Gospel Ministries
Jacqui will be a junior at Moody Bible Institute this fall.

No comments: